Ward 2 Issues and Concerns

These are the issues your Ward 2 Councillors are working on. If you don’t see your issue or concern here, go to Contact Us and let us know what you’re concerned about.

Let’s get together and talk face to face

Guelph Councillors Commit to Hosting Regular Ward 2 Town Halls where You can Meet Your Ward 2 Councillors, Hear From Your Neighbours & Help Shape Guelph!

We heard that we needed to improve communication so we are hosting a series of Ward 2 Town Halls where we can address your issues and concerns.

To set the stage: City Councillors focus on setting direction, shaping policy and providing high level oversight of municipal operations. To do that well, we need to stay in touch with our constituents and understand your priorities for your neighbourhoods. This is one way we are working to make municipal politics more accessible to everyone in Ward 2.

Starting January 2019 your Ward 2 Councillors will be hosting Town Halls every other month. These sessions will take place on Saturday afternoons at 1:30 pm in venues throughout Ward 2. Some Town Halls will provide opportunities for community members to speak their mind and provide advice and feedback to your City Councillors.

These are the first three scheduled Town Halls for Ward 2:

  1. Saturday January 12th – 1:30pm to 4:30pm – St. Patrick’s School –Read the Meeting Minutes Here!
  2. Saturday March 23rd – 1:30pm to 4:30pm – Evergreen Senior’s Centre, 683 Woolwich Street
  3. Saturday May 25 – 1:30pm to 4:30pm – Waverley Public School, 140 Waverley Drive

Future dates for Ward 2 Town Hall Meetings will be posted here, as we as our Facebook and Twitter pages.

Ward 2 neighbours present issues and concerns at Ward 2 Town Hall

What Can We Do to Alleviate Parking Shortages Across Guelph?

There is a shortage of on-street parking for many neighbourhoods across Guelph. This issue is worse during the winter, when parking restrictions prevent residents from parking on many streets.

This problem has arisen for several reasons:

  • There are more multi-generational households, with more than two adults owning cars in that home
  • Guelph attracts residents who work outside Guelph, requiring each resident to own a car
  • City policies allow for residential units to be build with just one or two parking spaces per unit. In some cases, high density developments are allowed with less than one car per unit
  • Developers continually ask for exemptions to the required number of parking spaces per unit
  • Houses are built close together and on many streets there is very little on-street parking
  • Streets are built more narrowly so on-street parking is only permitted on one side of the street
What can we do about it? Good question! Your Ward 2 Councillors are currently meeting with City staff to explore options to alleviate this problem. We would love to hear from you if you have any ideas or suggestions to help address this problem.
Typical Ward 2 street in older neighbourhoods with no on-street parking

As Guelph grows, we can expect greater pressures on our local and arterial roads

This means more congestion, longer travel times and for those living on highly used roads, more traffic noise. This article on the Guelph Mercury Tribune provides a high level overview of the increased demands on our transportation infrastructure: https://www.guelphmercury.com/news-story/9093279-more-people-will-mean-more-traffic-congestion-as-guelph-grows/ 

We have heard that many people across Ward 2 are especially concerned about speeding on local roads. Much of this increased traffic on local roads results from people taking shortcuts to get around high-congestion intersections. 

Identified local Ward 2 streets with high traffic volume:
  • Arthur Street
  • Glenburnie Drive (used to bypass Victoria/Eastview intersection)
  • Renfield Street (south of Speedvale, used to bypass Speedvale/Stevenson intersection) 
  • Riverview Drive (used to bypass Speevale/Victoria and Victoria/Woodlawn Intersection)
  • Windsor Street (used to bypass Balmoral/Inverness intersection)
Identified major Ward 2 roads with high traffic noise: 
  •  Victoria Road
  • Speedvale Avenue
You can follow the link below to see if your road is considered to be a ‘local’ or a ‘major’ road:

There is a complex problem of  crime, addictions, drugs across Ontario

Guelph is not alone in seeing increased crime, addictions and drugs. Municipalities across Ontario are facing these same issues. So what is being done about this? And what can everyone in Guelph do? This are complex issues which requires multiple approaches. The actions below are suggestions gathered from community conversations with Police, Bylaw and community members about crime in Guelph:

Community Members – What you can do:
  • Lock your cars every day and do not leave valuable items in your cars
  • Lock your doors and do not leave valuable objects visible from your windows
  • Leave your front porch lights on overnight
  • Get to know your neighbours. That way you know who’s a neighbour and who’s a stranger
  • Greet people in your street. If you see a stranger, make a point to say hello so they know someone saw them
  • Start a neighbourhood watch – it can be as simple as a mailing list where neighbours share comments and warn each other of suspicious activity in their streets
  • Report every single incident to the police, no matter how small. Unless they know that crime is happening they can’t do anything about it
Police – What they are doing
City Hall – What staff and your Councillors are doing
  • Bylaw staff is currently exploring a way to put motion-sensor spot lights in key parks and trails
  • City Council will decide on Tuesday March 5th, if they will support additional funding for 5 more Police officers
  • Councillor Goller will move a motion to fund a supportive recovery room as part of the 2019 budget, to help reduce the number of people dealing with addictions who are in and out of hospitals and taking up valuable Police and Hospital time and resources
  • Councillor Gordon will move a motion to fund  Court Support Workers, which intervene with people going through the criminal system due to addictions. This role has been found to be an effective way to help people get out of the cycle of crime and addictions

Yes, more needs to be done. If you have any suggestions on things that community members the Police or your Councillors could be doing to address the problem of crime in Guelph, please reach out and speak with us.

Municipal Services

The role of City Councillors is mainly at the policy level. We focus on shaping the direction of the City, while City of Guelph staff deliver services. If you have a question, suggestion or complaint about a municipal service, we encourage you to use the helpful ‘How Can We Help You’ section of the City website:   guelph.ca/how-can-we-help-you

If you are unable to find the information, or a resolution to your issue after contacting the relevant municipal department, please contact us.

Report a Problem App

The City of Guelph is using a new tool so you can report concerns about parking, wildlife, signs, property maintenance and more, using your smartphone, mobile device or desktop.

You can report a problem on the spot, attach pictures or videos, and get updates about the City’s response. You can also see if other people are reporting similar problems in your neighbourhood, or across town.