Category: Community

Councillor sees shutdown as opportunity

The following article appeared in the December 9 edition of the Guelph Tribune: City councillor Ian Findlay is sympathetic to the concerns of Guelph Farmers’ Market vendors, but says their current crisis should be regarded as an opportunity. “This does present opportunity for broad community discussion,” Findlay said in response to questions about the uncertainty […]

Farmers Market Update

I would like to share the latest information with you. Everyone has heard of the challenges the produce vendors will face if placed outside. A few things have occurred today: – we have determined a way to bring everyone that will be at the alternate market inside the City Hall building. – produce vendors will […]

Guelph’s Farmers’ Market relocated to new location while market building undergoes repair

The Guelph Farmers’ Market building at the corner of Gordon Street and Waterloo Avenue is now closed until repairs to its roof are complete. Public safety continues to be of paramount importance to the City of Guelph. Based on a recent structural assessment of the building, the City of Guelph—which owns the farmers’ market facility—is […]

Market re-location

First, I understand the city’s decision concerning the market, and fully support the swift action. I also like the idea of keeping the market downtown and close to its past and future location. What bothers me is the decision about who gets inside, who gets left outside, and who gets left out completely. I fail […]

Guelph Farmers’ Market may be moved to old transit garage

The following article appeared in the December 7 edition of the Guelph Mercury: The Guelph Farmers’ Market will be moved for at least the next 10 weeks to a transit garage south-west of downtown, city officials are expected to announce today. The weekly market will be displaced while workers repair the building’s roof, which city engineers last week said was […]