Category: Community

Farmers’ market relocation imminent

The following article appeared in the December 3 edition of the Guelph Mercury: A temporary location for the Guelph Farmers’ Market is expected to be announced by early next week, Derek McCaughan, the city’s executive director of operations and transit said Friday. “And if I can move mountains, we’ll be in a new location for […]

Farmers' Market Update

A quick update to my email from last night. The current forecast as of 2:00p.m. this afternoon calls for no precipitation during the Market hours tomorrow so it’s a GO for Market day. Staff will have a much more prominent presence though, stationed at each of the five person-doors for the Market day duration. They […]

Farmers Market

An update on the Market situation. To recap, we were advised by our Structural Engineering firm the Market roof likely could not meet the Ontario Building Code for snow load which, in lay terms, is a typical load associated with a 1 in 50 year storm event. This was communicated to the Market’s Executive Committee […]

City develops safety measures for the Guelph Farmers' Market building

The City is implementing a safety plan for the Guelph Farmers’ Market building located at the corner of Gordon Street and Waterloo Avenue. The City is conducting structural assessments of all its facilities. Computer modelling for snow loads show that there is a possibility, that the roof may not meet the Ontario Building Code for […]

Community Workshop Open House November 13th

Guelph’s Diyode Makers Club, a local non-profit organization that promotes do-it-yourself ideals, is opening the doors of a shared workshop just south of downtown Guelph. The 1600sqft space will serve as a DIY education center, and a tool- share for city residents to access resources that they may not have at home. The Community Workshop grand opening and day-long open […]

Volunteer night at the Evergreen

Gloria, Karl and Ian, Please accept my personal thanks for being at ther Evergreen Senior Centre to cater to the gastronomical whims of the volunteers. Your presence underlines the regard council has for volunteering in Guelph. Over the last several years I have noted that almost all councillors have made that effort as their time […]

A Massive Thank you!

On behalf of the City staff team at the Evergreen, please accept our sincerest thank you for your volunteer contribution last evening to ensure that our large volunteer team enjoyed their evening of appreciation. From most of the comments today, the evening was thoroughly enjoyed by the large volunteer team and your involvement to ensure […]

Statistics Canada report on 2009 Crime

On July 20th, 2010, Statistics Canada released the “Police Reported Crime Statistics in Canada, 2009” report which is a compilation of all reported crime of every type in every municipality and region of the Country covering 2009. Many of you may recall that in 2008. Statistics Canada came out with a “Crime Severity Ranking” for […]