Category: Community

Neighbourhood group to discuss impact of funding cuts

The following article appeared in the December 3 edition of the Guelph Mercury: A local neighbourhood group has put together an emergency meeting to discuss the potential impact of funding cuts included as possible cost-saving measures in the city’s 2010 budget package. Councillors Vicki Beard and Ian Findlay are expected to attend the meeting tonight […]

Civic Affairs Meeting

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to speak to the Civic Affairs Group this past Monday.. It is such a revelation to hear from you of all the complexities of the decisions you have to make. Nothing is as simple as we are lead to believe getting our information only from […]

Community gardens

I support community gardens on currently little-used public land, an idea being proposed by the Guelph Food Roundtable. I understand the 2010 budget process is at a stage to consider this idea. I feel it has a number of advantages, including: – environmental: local food with associated low use of resources – social: community incubators, […]

Please make community gardens a priority in the 2010 City of Guelph budget

I am emailing to show my support community gardens in Guelph. Community gardens are an important step towards a more sustainable community and city. Community gardens bring people together, teach people about food production, help people respect the earth, help people get active and contribute to a decrease environmental footprint. With climate change the future […]

Proposed Community Arts & Music Centre – get involved – take the survey!

There is a movement in town to finally get a community arts & music centre into operation. The intention is that this centre would house a few different sized performance spaces, arts & music studios, workshop/teaching rooms, rehearsal spaces, offices, a licensed café, and the offices of all Guelph arts & music organizations. It could […]

Support Guelph Community Gardens

I moved to Guelph as a new adult in 1996, fresh off the farm, for University. I quickly realized that most people around me had no idea where their food came from, nor were they connected with healthy food. I also saw that this was potentially a huge factor in the general health (physical, emotional, […]

Deerpath skateboard park

I am writing to express my concerns about the skateboard area that was recently installed in Deerpath park. While I do not live near the park, I have friends that do and I am appalled by the behaviour of the users of this facility. Certainly every citizen of Guelph should feel welcome to use our […]